On Friday 2nd March 1888 at the Prince of Wales Public House, the Jersey Poultry and Dog Society was dissolved and THE JERSEY DOG CLUB was founded.
17th April 1899 saw the reciprocal agreement between The Jersey Dog Club and the UK Kennel Club, a relationship that is maintained to this day.
The main object of the club, always has, and always will be, “the improvement of the breeds of dogs in the island”. The first show was held on the first weekend in August 1888 with Mr J.H. Salter judging the Sporting Group and Mr J.W. Barrie judging Non-Sporting Group.
Interestingly, at the first show, a dog auction was held and most of the dogs were valued in the Catalogue. There were three dogs valued at £1,000 each, which included the Irish Setter, a Retriever Dog and a Bull Terrier.
The Lieutenant Governor, His Excellency General C.B. Ewart C.B.R.E at the time, was an active member and showed two dogs, a Collie bitch valued at £500 and a “shaved or unshaven Poodle” at £100. Most of the dogs were listed in the catalogue by their pet names.
The first show had a very good cross section of breeds represented and comprised of Greyhounds, Pointers, Irish Setters, Gordon Setters, Retrievers, Spaniels, a variety of Terriers, Newfoundlands and Great Danes.
Prizes were donated by members and consisted of Silver Cups, Trophies and medals. The Kennel Club of Jersey has extensive records regarding the winners of these trophies.
Springfield Stadium became the home of the Jersey Dog Club both the indoor and outdoor facilities were used to hold their Annual Dog Shows.
The first shows, which took a whole year to plan, were very well attended and great enthusiasm was shown by the members in making the best of their “pens”. There was a special prize for the Best Decorated Pen and members were encouraged to use flower arrangements and bunting to decorate the hall and venue.
In 1926 the JERSEY DOG CLUB signed an Inter Insular Agreement with the GUERNSEY DOG CLUB which allowed members to show on either island. The GUERNSEY DOG CLUB came into being in 1901, exhibitors to this day travel regularly between the islands to compete and a friendly rivalry exists, this rivalry is celebrated at the Channel Islands Dog of the Year where a trophy is awarded to the Island that has won the most groups. The GUERNSEY DOG CLUB, subsequently renamed to the Guernsey Kennel Club, presented the Kennel club of Jersey with the trophy that is now awarded for the Channel Islands Dog of the Year.
25th August 1938 – The JERSEY DOG CLUB held their GOLDEN JUBILEE SHOW which was held at Springfield Grounds. The Chairman of the UK Kennel Club Mr A. Croxton Smith OBE judged the show.
Other Important dates in the Kennel Club of Jersey’s History
25th April 1940 was the last show before the Occupation
7th January 1941 was the last committee meeting held during the war, due to the occupation of the Channel Islands. During the Occupation of Jersey forces limited dog ownership on the island. Farms were allowed one dog for protection and private homes were allowed one pedigree dog. Additional dogs had to be registered and ownership applied for at the Parish Halls.
12th November 1945 was the first committee metting following the Occupation.
5th September 1946 was the first post occupation show, which was won by an Afghan Hound named Mitzou owned by Mrs Gibson.
1949 the JERSEY DOG CLUB held their annual dinner dance, this was the first year ladies were able to attend.
1952 Vice President Mrs Olga Carson passed away, she was the only lady committee member and was elected in 1925. In 1931 she was elected as Vice President of the Club. On her death in 1952 the beautiful OLGA CARSON MEMORIAL TROPHY was presented to the Club. This trophy is still awared to this day to the Best Channel Islands Bred Brace, Owned, Exhibited and Handled by Breeder at the Spring Championship Show.
On the 14th May 1954 the JERSEY DOG CLUB became an ‘Overseas Club’ and duly signed the Kennel Club Reciprocal Agreement.
1954 the first female president was elected – Mrs H Gibson
1979 The JERSEY DOG CLUB was encouraged to fulfil its role as a Kennel Club in its own right and special concessions were made, notably our own qualifications for Crufts which enabled the 3 Best in Show Winners & Reserve Best in Show winners from our three Open Shows to attend Crufts. This qualification has now been extended with all Group, Puppy Group, Junior Group & Best Veteran in Show winners from our 3 Championship Shows qualifying.
1983 The JERSEY DOG CLUB held the first Eye Clinic by Dr Barnett, this is still held annually.
In 2004 the membership voted to change the name of the club to THE KENNEL CLUB OF JERSEY, to better represent the Clubs business.
2005 saw the first Championship Dog Show held in the Island. UK judges Mrs G J Lilley, Mrs C Wood & Mr S Atkinson had the task of judging the entries. Four of the dogs winning the first Jersey Challenge Certificates went on to be Jersey Champions.
25th March 2006 the first Jersey Champions made up by Mr R Cabion –
Jersey Afghan Hound Jsy CH Barjoni Secret Desire for Elangeni
Guernsey English Springer Spaniel Jsy CH Trimere Tender Touch at Lyntonridge.
5th April 2008 first locally bred dog gaining his Jersey Champion title –
Boxer Jsy CH Docrema Millionaire PdH who was also the first dog champion.
2013 – 125th Anniversary celebrated with a Two Day Canine Festival which included Breed Championship, Agility, Obedience & Companion Shows. Breed Championship Show was judged by top UK judges Liz Cartledge & Frank Kane.